Tuesday 2 September 2014

Chop Chop

This is old news now, because I'm a bad blogger, but I GOT A HAIRCUT! Finally!

I went to Hair and Joy in Hongdae, as recommended by pretty much ALL of the expats I know. I was told they had good prices, great English and excellent hairdressing skills (having trained in both Europe and Asia), which I suppose is actually the most important thing there.

There're fancy, stylish hairdressers in abundance in Bupyeong, a stone's throw away and all open until at least midnight that'll give me a good-looking haircut for pennies. But how to explain what I want if they don't speak much English? Ultimate stress, given my previous fear of having my hair cut. (Let's not talk about afro-gate)

So, anyone who knows me will know I do not take care of my hair. At all. My hair's CV in the past year or so looks like this:

- dyed red
- bleached
- dyed green
- dye top-up
- dyed red again
- dyed brown in an attempt to go back to natural (forgetting how dark my hair actually is)
- bleached at the tips
- tips dyed green




Green. Of course.
Here's me looking despondent about my awful hair and the rubbish "semi-permanent" dye from about 2 weeks ago.
And I had a haircut maybe only 5-6 times in that space for trimming deads. That's it. Safe to say, my hair was kind of frazzled, despite my original intentions to look after it in its dyed state.

Let's not even talk about the time I did my regular fringe trim (something I'd been doing myself for a couple of months) and got the level wrong. Sure, an oddly short fringe seems to be in fashion now but it sure as heck wasn't back then!


So yeah, it's a strange, miscoloured, frazzly mess. Not sure how it is my hair grows so oddly that I managed to get a diagonal ombre, but okay.

In the past 6 or months I've been trying to fix this, getting regular haircuts, banning colour, giving it conditioning masks and basically just trying to grow out this hellish state its in. 3 months into my time in Korea, and I was finally at my stage 1 goal:
Cut it all off.

Now, I don't mean pixie cut style. I just mean, hack off all that old colour, reset to default settings.


I tried it out with hairpins and didn't HATE it, and Nick told me to try it if, at the very least, it'll heal up my hair a bit.

I explained pretty much all of this to Jason (my assigned stylist, after a fairly painless phonecall the day before. I'd been asked who I wanted to see and pretty much went "anyone") and he went to work.

And that's how I ended up like this:


It's so short.
There's still a random bit of the lighter brown on one side because, again, wonky hair. Jason told me he'd fix this when I go back for a trim. But it feels a lot thicker, smoother, healthier, and it's almost all one colour. It still takes forever to wash, oddly, but it's a lot quicker to dry. One downside is that in all this humidity, it gets greasy MUCH more quickly. Or it's more noticeable anyway. I used to get away with washing my hair once a week, maybe twice if I got sweaty or did a lot of smelly cooking. But now it's almost every other day otherwise I look like Snape's offspring.

It was a great experience, the salon played lots of calming music and it's the most extravagantly decorated hairdresser's I've ever been to. Combined with the fact I often had 2-3 people working on my hair at the same time, it was a pretty luxurious experience.

The chop itself was very satisfying. I mentioned I was a bit scared, and after that, at every step before a big change, we'd have a break and I'd be asked if I was 100% sure I wanted to do it, shown how it should look when it's done and assured it would be fine. That's something really lovely that I haven't really had before. I've had lovely stylists but none of that extra reassurance.

I was going to take a photo of my huge pile of hair after the initial big cut (which I was shown to prove IT'S ALL GONE. FOREVER. SORT OF.) but they were too efficient and it was gone in the next moment.

When it came to paying (a bit lightheaded because, well, my head was...a lot lighter.) I genuinely had a moment where I just stood and blinked with surprise.
"What was that, sorry?"
"30,000 won"
That's just under £18. I usually pay £20-25 and that's a CHEAP cut. Most people I know spend £30-50.

I apologised and tried to explain so that they knew it wasn't anything bad. The response?
A cheeky smile and "Oh. Can I ask for more then?"

Nope, too late. I've paid and I'm happy. My next goal is to grow it out nice and long again, but healthy.
My other joy is the fact that it's opened a whole new set of doors for me re: cosplay, as seen below with a sort of Kiki's Delivery Service closet cosplay.


7 comments:

  1. Nice do! Great on the research..I don't do research..haha, a hair cut is a hair cut. Like you I never took care of my hair...it's got the Filipino thickness to it. I always feel terrible when people cut my super thick hair. Alas my latest experience involved me just wanting my bangs cut, but failure to communicate that they decided to chop it off. It's okay though.

    I love my short hair. Anytime I had long hair, it would always go up in a pony. I get to hot with it down and being thick. If I could have short hair like I did when I was back home, I'd love it. I especially love my bed head..always looked like an anime character..like Cloud from FF7. :) Don't believe me? Check out my fbk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, my hair is a hellish combo of my mum's and my dad's. If you so much as breathe on it it becomes candyfloss, so I've always been wary of haircuts after a disastrous one for the first day of "big school", yeah as if anyone's going to let me live THAT down. At least if it's long the weight keeps it kinda flat.

      See I prefer the option of a pony though. I'm glad I can JUST about tie up this short cut, because it'd drive me mad otherwise. I usually swoop it to one side for ventilation when it's long, haha. I'D GIVE ANYTHING TO HAVE ANIME HAIR (probably hence my obsession with green hair dye and wigs...)

      Delete
  2. Looks ace Chelle!! I love the short do, really suits you :) xx

    Little Miss Katy | UK Lifestyle & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I keep having really on and off days, sometimes I'm really happy and others I'm like "WHYYYY"

      It's grown so fast though. Looking at these photos I'm thinking "oh, it was so short!" and it was only about 3 weeks ago!

      Delete
  3. I love your new haircut! It looks super adorable on you~ I wish I had the courage to cut my hair that short too but I always make the excuse that I can only do updos/curl my hair if my hair was long.... well yeah, I haven't done nice looking to my hair in the past few years -___-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually a bit of a pain. It's kind of fluffy if I don't use a hairdryer or straighteners, so I'm considering getting a perm-straight. I miss being able to do a bun or braid to sweep my hair out of the way ;A; And having hair heavy enough that it curls rather than puffs xD

      My main power comes from that bit in Sabrina the Teenage Witch "Hair grows. Hair grows." Hah. I'll be back to long hair some dayyyyy~

      Delete
    2. Haha, I totally remember Sabrina the Teenage Witch :P omg, the good old days!

      Delete



blogger template by lovebird